I started writing this after I read my sister-in-laws blog entitled "no offense taken". For those of you that don't know Jennifer, she is one of the kindest & most beautiful people (inside & out). She blogged about how people find it absolutely appropriate to make inappropriate comments to pregnant women. Again if you know her, you know she is one of the cutest & most fit pregnant women I have ever met... I mean she is 37 weeks pregnant & still keeping up with the instructors in her aerobics classes.... in her original gym shorts!
Hats off to ya Jenn!
I don't know if people just don't know what to say so they open mouth & insert foot or if they truly cannot hear their own words. And don't they know that being pregnant we have more hormones raging than a lunatic on her cycle.... we could seriously hurt you :)
I have to give Jennifer credit because she truly acted like a Christian when those women offended her. Some of the comments (now just listen to these...they really are stupid) I've heard or have heard people tell other pregnant women are:
"you look enormous"
"your face is really puffy... are you retaining water" (Isn't it obvious)
"you look alot bigger than the last time I saw you" (no joke, I'm growing a life here)
"man your about to pop" (pop? really, am I a balloon?)
"are you having a girl..bc you are carrying it all over" (was your mom a gorilla bc you are ugly)
or the infamous:
"are you having twins" (just call me enormous & get it over with)
My friend Courtney & I got pregnant at the same time & when we found out our due dates were 2 days apart we were ecsatic to be going thru the whole thing together. I was probably a size 6 when I got pregnant & Courtney was at least one size possible two smaller than me (She is a little girl)
When I was about 5 months pregnant I had a woman at church tell me that I was bigger than her. "no joke" I wanted to tell her.... "I was bigger than her when we both got pregnant". Ryan & I talked about the incident later & I told him I knew that the lady had not meant to hurt my feelings but would she have mentioned that I was bigger than Courtney had I NOT been pregnant?
I had a guy at work comment on how I am always eating (which if you've ever been pregnant you know that sometimes in the first trimester its best just to keep a layer of crackers in your stomach AT ALL TIMES!!!) I ignored his comment, looked at another collegue that was standing with us & said "you know I find that people say the STUPIDEST things to pregnant women" & walked off leaving the guy completely bewildered.
If you are reading this & you are one of those not so smart people who have said something like the above to a pregnant woman SHAME ON YOU. And if you don't know what to say, stick to something like this:
You have such a glow about you
Pregnant women are so beautiful
How are you feeling
Are you excited about your upcoming adventure in life
Anyway, I just wanted to say to Jenn that I am proud of you & that I'm sorry for people that tear you down. Remember that as Christians we live in the truth & the truth is you are beautiful & God has chosen you especially to be this childs mother.
As a mother, I feel so honored that God trusts me enough with HIS creation.
If you know Jenn please go to her blog http://ryanandjenn.blogspot.com/ & leave her a nice comment or email me at mrs.amato1@yahoo.com & I will forward it on to her.
Jenn I love you & have learned so much from you about being a mother, Christian, wife & just an all around role model. Please forget the words that were said to you the other day & only allow the positive to be embedded in your mind & heart.
Coffee, Cats, and Deadlines: A Day in My Life
2 weeks ago


2 comments:
Sarah,
You are HILARIOUS!! :) I felt like I could HEAR you talking as I was reading your post! How funny!
Yeah, I think people sometimes just don't think before they speak...ie, insert foot into mouth!
Jenn did handle the comments VERY well. I probably would have taken the comments personally, unfortunately, but this is a good reminder to not do so!
"Hats off to ya, indeed, Jenn!"
Sarah,
Thanks so much for your encouragement!! I am so thankful to be going through this pregnancy alongside you and can't wait for our little one to meet audrey in just a month! Thank you for your sweet words...they really are always such an encouragement!
Post a Comment