The last couple of weeks (along with the bottle battle) we've had a sleep battle.
For those of you who spend time with us on a daily basis, you know that Audrey has always had the BEST sleep patterns. I mean she pretty much slept the whole first month of her life. She has always been that baby that you lay down in her crib (asleep, awake, tired, not tired etc) & she will lay down & go to sleep.....until now :(
There have been a few changes going on around here & I can't help but think this is her way of coping. For the last couple of weeks she has REFUSED to go to sleep with out one of us in her room. I mean she would prefer us to rock her but if we just walk in the room after a crying fit she immediately lays down (bc she knows that is what she is suppose to be doing) & will close her eyes.
I have really struggled with this & it has been emotionally draining. My mothering instinct wants to go in her room, comfort her & rock her until sweet dreams can find her. The rationalist inside me tells me that she knows she is suppose to be going to sleep, that she IS tired & that she needs to do it on her own. I'm SURE that there are people out there that disagree with me, if you are one of those-keep it to yourself, PLEASE.
I was encouraged by my sister-in-law, Jenn, because apparently her son (who is Audrey's age) is going thru the same thing (sorry Jenn, misery loves company). We were able to compare notes, see how each other was handling the situation, & regroup to take on the next sleep time.
Wednesday was a baaaaaaaddddddd day! She woke up early & screamed in her bed until 6:30am (when we get up) then it took me 1 1/2 hours to get her to take a nap. She has alot more will than I do & I have to keep emotionally setting myself up for each crib time.
Yesterday was better, she woke up early again. We left her in her bed until 6:30 & when I went in to get her I realized something...... there were NO tears. She was sitting there screaming for 40mins without so much as shedding a tear. This might have been a turning point for me. At nap time, I held her for a few minutes before putting her down (like always) said a prayer with her (like always) & told her that she was going to go to sleep on her own & mommy would be right down the hall if she needed anything (like always). I left the room & the crying started. BUT it only lasted 10mins & she settled down & went to sleep. Bed time went well too!!!!
Today is a new day & we could go back to square one but I am optimistic that we are in the home stretch now! .....next stop the bottle battle ( back with more on that one)


No comments:
Post a Comment