Thursday, September 8, 2011

Whats for dinner? lots o recipes!

Here are a few recipes that we've tried out lately. I am claiming them as my own bc I have tweeked each one in some way (whether I left an ingredient out......bc we didnt have it or improvised with another one). Most of the time, I go to allrecipes for dinner ideas so most of these are some form of something I found there. I don't use measurements bc I've found the only place I really have to is when baking.
Keep in mind that I work part time, go to school part time, am in the process of raising two little ones & trying to keep my marriage together (oh & a few friends or free time would be great).
Anyways, these all are super easy menu's & can be prepared at nap time then just put in the oven or cooked quickly at dinner time.


Let me know what you think if you try any of these out. If you make it easier/better....let me know & please feel free to share them (as your own) with whomever


Blackened Tuna (or chicken) with a Mango Salsa

I just happened to walk into Winn Dixie when they had marked there tuna steaks down to $6.99/lb.....i had no idea what to do with them but this turned out REALLY good. We cooked the tuna on a skillet on the stove but I'm sure it would be even better on the grill.
We grilled the chicken.

I started by wetting the tuna with the following ingredients:
olive oil
lime juice
garlic, minced
tuna
I put them in a ziplock & let them marry in the fridge for a few hours

then blacken the tuna/chicken with:
paprika
tony's chachere's or cayenne pepper
salt & pepper
dried thyme
italian seasoning
garlic powder

I cooked the tuna on medium heat in olive oil for about 3-5 minutes on each side. (i cooked the ours 3/4...kids 5 so it was cooked all the way thru)

Mango Salsa:
1 mango - chopped (Can do a pineapple for pineapple salsa but ill list that recipe separately bc i added some extra ingredients for that)
green onion
fresh cilantro
jalapeno pepper
lime juice
olive oil

I topped the tuna/chicken with the salsa & also mixed it in with the couscous that we ate (it would be good with rice too)


Mango Salsa Dip:
The next day, I took the remainder of the mango salsa & mixed it in with a avocado & ate it with triscuits.

IT WAS DELICIOUS!!! (input Audrey's voice)

OK now for the pineapple salsa: I only tried this bc we had a pineapple that needed to be eaten. Honey didn't really like this one, the kids liked the pineapple but the sauce was a little spicy. I cooked it with the blackened chicken & put it in the rice again (I know real original)

PINEAPPLE SALSA:

chopped pineapple (& some of the juice)
green onion
fresh cilantro
jalapeno pepper
lime juice (i didnt have any)
olive oil
soy sauce
brown sugar
spicy mustard (optional) it was good before i added this but my mom said to put it in so i did....it was good after too



Easy Flounder:
This could be grilled as well on foil but I just put it together at nap & then had Honey cook it while I was in class....much easier this way.

flounder
Parmesan cheese

spoonful of butter or margarine
spoonful of mayonnaise
chopped green onions
salt & Pepper
All I did was put all ingredients in a baking dish & cook at 375 for 20-30minutes. It was REALLY good & REALLY easy!

We ate it with roasted sweet potatoes (recipe from my sister in law, jenn)
cut sweet potato into fries
add olive oil, rosemary & sea salt
cook for 20-30minutes on 475 (flip once)

We also always have a veggie but those are alot less exciting: broccoli with cheese,green beans with lemon pepper, squash & onions with pepper (actually really good)

ok I'm tired...heading to bed. Be back with a post soon....there is a certain little prince turning 1 this week!









No comments: