Monday, January 25, 2010

buh bye baa baa









So I know I am probably a little late on this but it is definitely time to get rid of the bottle & Audrey is DEFINITELY not wanting to get rid of her precious "baa baa". My reasons for not doing this sooner are strictly selfish...here goes. Every morning we get up & get in bed with her bottle & cuddle. We have been doing this since she was born (except I was breastfeeding & exhausted). Regardless, this has become our tradition.
If you know Audrey really well then you know she is not a real cuddly baby so I have to get it where I can take it..... & by taking the bottle away, I'm taking my cuddle time away.

Anyway, it's gotta go & we are BOTH tramatized. I started with just the morning bottle bc she wants this one the most & is the hungriest. I figured she would take her milk out of anything. I was WRONG, WRONG WRONG.

The first day, we got up & I told her "we aren't going to have a bottle in the morning anymore, we are going to drink our milk out of a big girl cup" she ask for it, she skipped her bottle, she asked for it again (broke my heart) & she definitely did NOT cuddle with me. I kept telling her "you can have a bottle after lunch, we are going to drink our bottle out of a big girl cup in the morning".

SO I am coming to you for advice. Please tell me how you got your baby off the bottle. Tell me what to do & what not to do. OR if you want to come over & do it that's fine to :)

I know we have only been at this for 2 days but I really feel like I could use some advice so please let me know any insight you have.

3 comments:

Megan said...

Clay really missed his morning bottles too. What worked for us was putting milk in a sippy cup and giving him animal crackers (which are his favorite) in a little bowl to have with his milk. He cried, yelled, and was just plain cranky for three or four mornings in a row when we started with the milk and animal crackers. However, we held our ground (even though it was a really rotten way to start the day) and after a few days he didn't even miss his bottle anymore...he just wanted to devour the milk and animal crackers!
Hang in there. I know it's not fun!!! This too shall pass!!! :)

Shireen said...

Hey, girl,
First of all, I'm no expert...you're ahead of me in the sense that I'm learning from Audrey for what to expect w/Rhys! :) So, you're doing GREAT!
We JUST starting giving Rhys his milk from the Nuby cup, and he did NOT like it for several days. It's been 6 days, and now he drinks from it just FINE! He only sipped from it last week, but this week, he's getting 7 to 8 oz easily out of it for his morning 'bottle.' So, my advice, stick to it! So much more is at stake here than Audrey learning how to drink from a cup, too. YOU are MOMMY. YOU make the decisions, and you need to stick with them so that she will find comfort and security in knowing that Mommy sticks to her word. So, stand firm with the morning big girl cup. She'll get the hang of it in a week or shortly thereafter, and this post will be history! ;)
Also, we had a miserable last couple of nights...Rhys started crying around 2am a few months back, and I thought I'd give him b/c, assuming he was having a growth spurt. He got in the habit, and I didn't stop that 2am bottle if he cried for it. We are now NOT giving him milk when he cries at 2am, and he literally screamed for 2 hours (I'm assuming for the bottle of milk). We certainly comforted him, gave him some Orajel for the coming teeth and a small dose of Tylenol, but he was either being stubborn or we thought later this morning that he might have had gas. Woops! We should've given him some gas meds. Anyhow, all that to say, we are in the same boat, girl. My heart aches for him, and I just want to give in and give him that darn milk bottle at 2am if/when he cries for it, but I KNOW (and Russell helps keep me strong!) that we MUST stick to our new decision for Rhys' (and our) good!
I'll be praying for little Audie to take milk from the sippy cup courageously and as submissively :) as possible. I'll also pray that God gives you patience and supernatural courage and strength to not give in to what little Audie 'thinks' is what she needs. Mommy knows best. ;)
Please be praying that the Lord would cause Rhys to start sleeping thru the night again, without stirring for anything, not for milk, not for comfort, not for anything. He needs his rest, and we need ours. :) Please pray that we will also be diligent to stand firm in Christ's strength, too.
Sarah,
Thank you, again, for Rhys' birthday gift...you did not need to get a thing for him. :) I later thought, "Wow...she went to Target and got that on Friday and monogrammed it all for Rhys!" Thank you! He used it and looked so cute in it this morning!!:)
Love yall and hoping for our girls' day to turn out :) during your next trip here!
Shireen

Anonymous said...

Audrey is growing up so fast and she is just precious. I unfortunatly have no advice for you darling but I wanted to let you know that I think you are doing a great job and to give you strength through all the up's and down's. I have no doubt the cuddles will become more frequent again soon. Goodluck, thinking of ya'll Love Amber xxxx